Though the Gaja estate was founded in 1859 by Angelo’s great-grandfather, Angelo started shaking things up in 1961 when he assumed control of the family’s winery. Angelo started small, but by 1967, Angelo had gained the confidence to make larger changes, beginning with the bottling of cru Barbaresco Sorì San Lorenzo, while Sorì Tildìn followed in 1970 and Costa Russi in 1978. As radical as some of Angelo’s innovations seemed, they helped to bring his wines, as well as Piemonte wines, to the notice of the international market. Today, the Gaja estate spans about 250 acres in Piemonte, with holdings located in Barbaresco and Barolo. Angelo began his transition to retirement in 2004, and winemaking duties now rest in the hands of his daughter, Gaia, who has been making bold moves of her own, dropping the Barbera component in the cru Barbaresco and Barolo bottlings, and moving towards more traditional winemaking protocol.